Monday 18 November 2013

How to get scammed in Prague...

Off to an annoying start in Prague. This trip had been going suspiciously smoothly so it's only expected that something would go wrong eventually.

Today we were off to a late start after a nice long sleep in. First port of call was a cash point to get some Koruna in our wallets.

After withdrawing some money, a man approached me and asked if I could change some bills for him. So I gave him 2 X 1000 bills in exchange for 4 X 500 bills.  He was very appreciative and went on his way.

It wasn't until I was in HnM trying to buy something that the cashier told me what I thought was 500 Kourno was not accepted currency in the Czech Republic.

A quick dash to the closest currency exchange confirmed that I'd been given a bunch of worthless Belarusian Ruble. This scam artist clearly identified me as an ignorant tourist and preyed on my inexperience with Czech currency.

We spent two and a half hours at the police station making a statement and getting a police report. In the scheme of things, I know it's not a lot of money (about AU$105, £61) but it's the bloody principal! I was so nice and polite to this man… I even told the bastard to have a nice day. Well I take it back. I hope he has a horrible day.

Let's all take a moment to send some bad juju his way.

I know the next three days I'll be walking around Prague like a character in Law and Order seeing if I recognise him. I'm pretty good with faces and was able to remember a few key details (short, medium build, pale, green checked shirt, dark jeans… keep an eye out). I suggested to the police that they check the cameras at the cash point, at which point I was told to only speak when spoken to.

Tomorrow we've booked a six hour tour that covers all the key sights around Prague and surrounding areas. It will be a great way to see to city (widen my search area).

More fool me anyway. That will teach me to be nice. I'll never give anyone change again.

You live, you learn, what can I say.

Prague 1, Bianca 0

xxoxox


NOT KORUNA.  next stop Belarus??

4 comments:

  1. Good Luck Miss Marple. Post a picture of the money so some other fool doesn't get caught. Lool

    ReplyDelete
  2. This person has resurfaced and in running the same scam in old town. 18/09/2014

    ReplyDelete
  3. Still very much happening in July 2015. My mum didn't listen to me and we got hit in celenta off old town square. We were then approached by a non local Czech who advised us that we likely didn't get Czech dollars. We watched another couple get approached by another man but managed to deter them from afar. We were told by a reputable currency converter that this is a scam where they work in groups of 3-5 and look out and signal to eachother who to approach. Simply don't trust anyone while abroad. If you wouldn't trust a stranger a home who approached you. Don't trust people on holiday. The man who approached us picked up on the fact that despite us being from Australia that I was talking Italian to my mum to tell her it was a bad idea. So he chimed into our conversation in Italian to further instill trust. He even handed us the money to hold before she gave him her aud. very confident in the scam so just beware.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,
    The exact same thing happened with me today.. I withdraw some money from ATM. i got one 2000 note and some man approached and asked politely to change it for 4 500s notes. I dint even think and did the same. When I came back to my hostel to pay for it, then came to know that its worthless Belarusian currency.. I wish , I had read your blog earlier. :(

    ReplyDelete